View Single Post
Old 10-17-2017, 01:03 PM

8 yr Member

8 yr Member
Default Anyone with cancer experience?

I know there are other forums out there that I could be asking in, but my dad is currently undergoing chemo and radiation treatment for esphogeus cancer, not particularly worried as it was caught early and they started treatment rather quickly, and we’re talking a tumor that is less than a centimeter in size. But there was something that struck me as odd, they are actually encouraging his drinking beer, saying it’s a good protein while he undergoes treatment, and are strongly advising a meat and potato diet???

Now I’ll admit, I don’t know a whole lot about cancer, my dad is the first and thus far only person to ever get it on either side of my family tree, and most certainly is from his exposure to agent orange back in Nam. But as far as I knew, sugars aid the growth of cells... cancer cells included... so why on earth would they want him drinking beer, which is loaded with sugars, and carb loading? Is it a matter of like to treat like? Hoping to increase the growth of healthy cells? A matter of keeping weight up? I just don’t get it... I mean, the meats I can somewhat understand.... but why all the carbs too? Especially since they want him well hydrated as well, so it seems high water content veggies should have a higher priority, and fiber....

Yet his nutritionalist is saying to forget the nuts, seeds, berries, and broccolis... go for the candy, beer, pizza and chips... I’m not particularly worried about him eating like a high schooler as such... just curious if anyone has any insight as to why that would be the recommendation.