View Single Post
Old 10-18-2017, 11:01 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default Lean App

It's now six years on from the last post in this thread. My PD-induced posture problems have gradually worsened over the years. Meanwhile, I've done Tai Chi and had physiotherapy, but, for me at least, they made very little difference. So, I've continued investigating the technology based approach.

Although commercial devices are available, I've kept to the DIY route. I've made a few Arduino (a computer on a chip) based attempts to build a tool that identifies poor posture and warns you immediately of the problem, allowing you to make corrections before things get worse. These have never been quite good enough. And, anyway, because users would need to buy the parts, they never satisfied my requirement that anything I produce relating to PD should be effectively free to PwP. (By this I mean that the marginal cost, taking into account that most people on this forum have access to a laptop and smartphone, is very low.)

I've made a prototype that runs on an Android smartphone. This is available, free from my web site:

Parkinson's Disease Measurement: PwP, surveys, trials, analysis

You attach the smartphone to your body. You sit or stand with good posture for a few seconds, while baseline measurements are made. The phone will then vibrate if your lean exceeds set limits.

If you turn off the vibration, the smartphone just measures your lean, which for me is a good measure of my "on"/"off"-ness.

Posters to this thread, to whom my thanks, made the point that there's a difference between identifying poor posture and correcting it. I advise anyone using this app to seek medical advice on how to make the corrections.

I'll be very grateful for any comments that you have.

Finally, I think that with little modification this technology may help in reducing freezing and falls.

John
johnt is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
eds195 (10-19-2017)