Thread: exercise
View Single Post
Old 10-24-2017, 11:20 PM
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member
Smile

Nikos, Ask your husband if a car can run without gasoline! That's the same basic principle with an MGer's muscles. We can run out of gas in any one of the 640 skeletal muscles. In order to get more muscle fuel (acetylcholine) for muscles, we need to rest or have drugs.

Yes, exercise is good for everyone. But with MG, the more we do, the worse we become. So how much we do depends upon how stable we are on a given day or in general.

MG also can become worse in the next day or two after an activity. Effects can be cumulative, and that is hard to predict. MG experts love to say that the only thing predictable about MG is its unpredictability!

If you can exercise at home, that is a great plan. What if you go out for a walk, and then can't walk back! That has happened to me in a store. Not fun. I have a recumbent bike that I use, and bands to use for my arms. Keeping atrophy from happening is important. But only you can decide how much you can exercise on any given day. Doctors love algorithms. But saying to exercise 20 minutes per day isn't realistic with MG. Some people, who are doing well, can exercise as much as they want.

Swimming is a great exercise, due to the cooler water (cooler than the body) and the weightless nature of water. Treadmills are ok, but you should also use something for the arms. Rotating muscle groups from day to day is also smart. Staying cool while exercising (with a fan) is smart, too. Rowers work many muscle groups at once (which can be good or bad). On some days, the legs can be weaker than the arms, so choosing an exercise needs to reflect that.

Taking a nap after exercising is also a smart thing to do.

If you take Mestinon, make sure that exercise is done when it is in full force. Mestinon kicks in after about 20 - 30 minutes and wears off 2-1/2 hours after taking it! You may need more Mestinon while exercising. Talk to your neuro about any changes in dosing though.

I hope that helps. Trust your instincts about how you are doing. Keep asking questions! You can also go to Home for more info.

Annie
AnnieB3 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote