View Single Post
Old 10-25-2017, 08:08 AM

8 yr Member

8 yr Member

And yep, mystery solved... he is part of a study... which he did volunteer for, just my mother and I didn’t know it. He’s the one that clued us in, since his cancer should be “curable” any ways, and since they decided to speed up the process, he figured what was the harm in possibly needing a few more weeks if his diet played any role. So it’s his “job” so to speak to scarf down as much protein and carbs as he can through treatment and they’ll compare it to others going through on the leaner more fiber filled diets. I’m guessing new research is questioning the effects of diet, and thus far seems to be actually working more in my dad’s favor.

He hasn’t had any weight loss, only just got the beginnings of thrush, no nausea or vomiting even after his 3rd chemo treatment, for all intents and purposes he is the picture of health, his counterpart who is in roughly the same boat as him in terms of discovery and size of tumor though only a few days ahead of him on treatment, still hasn’t recovered from thrush, and has lost a little over 10lbs, is greatly weakened and while both are receiving the same treatments and it’s having the same effect on the tumor, the other guy is battling constant nausea and vomiting and looking for all the world like a “cancer” patient and taking many more medications to combat the effects, while my dad is still walking back and forth to his appointments roughly a mile or so a day, eating well and not taking any medication beyond his treatments.

So they may be on to something, or it could just be my fathers red-headed immune system. They’re also going to be testing his DNA looking for cancer markers which is really cool as he’ll be part of cancer research for a long time to come yet. Coming right after being a unique case study after his cataract surgery where they restored sight to an eye that had been blind for 60+ years at least. Luck of the Irish