View Single Post
Old 10-26-2017, 01:55 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by en bloc View Post
There is a HUGE difference between being addicted and being dependent on a medication!! There are many medications that cause patients to become dependent...not just pain medications. Heart medications often cause dependency, and steroids are the worst offender in my opinion. Steroids not only require extremely long tapers to get off them (sometimes years), but this class of medication causes extensive damage to many aspects of the body.

If you are constantly thinking of your next dose of pain medication and looking forward to it because of the side effects, then you are likely 'addicted'. But if you take you medication exactly as directed, but cannot stop it without withdrawal symptoms, then you may just be dependent on the medication....Big difference.

Opioids are NOT just for short term pain. There are many opioid medications for long term use that do not lose their effectiveness after short term use. If used correctly, opioids are effective means of pain control. Sure, there are some opioids that are best for only short term use...and it is best that patients use the LEAST amount necessary for the shortest term possible to avoid addiction or dependency issues. But many people have chronic pain and opioids can be used for chronic pain under proper direction of a doctor. Other classes of medication should be tried first for chronic pain, but if all else fails, opioids can be used safely. Patients also have to be honest about side-effects and any increase in desires for the medication.

Let me add: Please don't think my reply implies that there is no opioid crisis...there is! But giving opioids a bad name due to some that abuse it, leaves many chronic pain patients out in the cold. It just requires proper management, honesty, and open discussion between doctor and patient to avoid dangerous behavior before it gets out of hand. Maybe one day they will come up with a pain medication/treatment that has no benefit to the abuser.
Yes, I used 'addicted' when I should have said 'dependent'. I certainly don't crave my meds and usually have a few left over from when I've forgotten to take them.
surfer00 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
en bloc (10-29-2017), ger715 (10-27-2017), PamelaJune (10-26-2017)