View Single Post
Old 10-28-2017, 08:59 PM

5 yr Member

5 yr Member
Default Post-Concussion: Push through or rest?

Hi everyone,
I am a new member here looking for advice from others who have experienced similar injuries. About 3.5 weeks ago I received a concussion from passing out and hitting the front of my head on the concrete floor. I passed out because I was observing a cadaver, and had not ate anything prior to. The next few days I felt fine and symptoms didn't show up until 4 days later. That day I went to the doctor and they told me I had a concussion and to follow up. I followed up and symptoms have definitely improved compared to what I felt like on the day all the symptoms hit me at once.
Ever since then, I have felt nauseous, severe anxiety/nervous/panicky in the mornings and by about 1-2 PM those symptoms go away and are replaced by fatigue, eye aches, and mild headaches. The afternoons are not as bad and I feel close to normal. The anxiety/nervous feelings are definitely the worst part and I can't tell if it's a product of the concussion, or just me being afraid I am going to start feeling bad or pass out again when I go out of my house. The anxiety definitely feels irrational and I feel like I am going crazy sometimes. Background: I was never an anxious person before this injury. Very laid back and chill.
I am a graduate student in college so it's definitely hard to sit around and not do anything, when I have a billion things I need to be doing (teaching, research, classes, 2nd job, etc). So my biggest question and concern is should I rest, or should I push through? Sometimes I feel like pushing through helps the anxiety but it's a constant struggle to keep it together when I experience it.
Has anyone else had similar experiences? Any advice would be appreciated.
cl16 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote