View Single Post
Old 10-29-2017, 08:45 AM

5 yr Member

5 yr Member

Hi cl16,

To answer your question about anxiety. Yes, it's not uncommon to have high anxiety during a concussion. As a psychologist i know how badly anxiety/stress can affect someone. Understanding how it works will help you manage it more. There are several reasons why your anxiety can be high right now:

1. Neurological: a possible neurometabolic imbalance (this should level itself out during recovery). Also see Mark's vitamin tip.

2. Psychological: Experiencing prolonged recovery from concussion is very difficult to deal with. It's very important to take your mind of of it. In other words don't constantly think of symptoms, recovery date, etc. Try to keep yourself busy with mild activities. From what you've said, i see that you are struggling with many responsibilities. Nervosity is often a result of worrying about to many things at once. The only worry you should have now is your health and that's it. Accept that you are CURRENTLY in this situation. See it as your life being put on hold, but know that you will have your life back after this.

3. Your body's stress-response system (adrenalin and cortisol): At the moment your body is hyper-vigilant because it knows something is not right. This means it is constantly searching for possible threats. That's why your currently more prone to get anxiety. Pushing yourself will make anxiety worse in the long run and will result in a chronic stress response (just google how it works, to long to explain). But activities that you can endure without symptoms, like Mark said, will counter stress and will keep physical fitness from going downhill.

So i would not advice pushing yourself through your symptoms.
Lebber is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
cl16 (11-04-2017)