Old 10-29-2017, 10:03 PM
Newly Joined

5 yr Member
Newly Joined

5 yr Member
Default Gabapentin For Nerve Pain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pamissotired View Post
Hi I've just started gabapentin and wondering what I've got myself into.
I don't like taking pills, my dr keeps prescribing I keep not taking them... She made me promise to take these . So I am taking them I just don't quite believe her that there are very few side effects. I have so many issues that I always worry it's whatever medicine I'm taking so I stop taking it. This time I will keep trying it but I'm thinking it's making me more tired and depressed and not helping with pain. I've been on it 5 days 100mg at night upping dose next week to 200mg. Thanks
Hi there: I have been taking Gabapentin since 2002 for nerve pain in my foot, hands and leg. If I forget to take it, the pain is excruciating. I have spinal stenosis and osteoperosis and arthritis in my hands. Since the summer of 2016, I have had worse pain in my left leg from my buttocks right down to my feet but the worse pain seems to be in the back of my leg, the calf. I had an X-ray of my left hip and it showed some mild tendonitis but nothing that would cause this type of pain. I have had about 25 physiotherapy treatments where they apply heat on my back, give me accupuncture and TENS treatments. They all help manage the symptoms somewhat but don't make it go away. They also gave me exercises to do to help loosen up my spinal canal. Right now the pain is always worse when I stand up and walk. It is manageable when I am lying down or sitting. When I get up in the morning and stand up, I never know if the leg will support me or not. I have had mobility problems since 2002, as I have left sided weakness due to an undiagnosed neurological condition. They first thougth I had MS or ALS but after five MRI's there was no sign of that. All they can tell me is that they THINK it involved my central nervous system and may be an upper motor neuron disorder. It affected my walking, talking and my reflexes were very hyperactive as well as my nervous system. That has calmed down a lot compared to how I felt at the beginning of this journey. I would sit and watch my legs tremble and if I was near any eletrical appliances like the fridge, pop machines etc. it would set off internal vibrations that overcame me. I would lie on the couch with a cold facecloth over my eyes just trying to calm my body. I couldn't drive in the car and couldn't tolerate going around corners or up and down hills. I was almost a basket case not knowing what was wrong with me or how I could change things. They sent me to a psychiatrist to see if it may all be in my head. It was the best thing ever as he verified that I didn't have any phobias, had a stable family relationship, no addictions, no finance or work problems. I did have a rash that summer that was around my waist and moved up my chest. i also had a case where my both legs turned red, which was very odd. Anyway, I had lots of physiotherapy, massage therapy, osteopathic treatments etc. but they haven't changed the symptoms of chronic pain. They did help with the tightness and spasticity in my left leg, so that seems better. I also take a mild dose of ampytripline at night to help me sleep and melatonin. My doctor prescribed an anti-inflammatory pill to take as well. So, in response to the question of whether gabapentin works, I can tell you without doubt that it does HELP me. If I miss a pill or forget to take one on time, I will get those electric shocks in my extremities. This week has been bad as my whole left leg feels like it is asleep with all that tingling. I asked my doctor about medical marijauna in pill form and whether that may help but he said he doesn't believe in that so I don't know if it does or not. I have been gaining weight and retaining fluid for the last six months as I am not able to walk any distance anymore nor do I get any exercise. That's my story for now, I go for my annual checkup tomorrow, so will inquire whether I can get some new meds to help with this chronic pain. The therapists can all detect the difference on my left side and they seem to think it is coming from my lower back. However, I haven't had any back pain at all during this whole journey. Good luck with getting relief from your pain.
Spuddy47 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote