View Single Post
Old 10-30-2017, 07:43 AM

5 yr Member

5 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark in Idaho View Post
So, you developed symptoms and researched and chose the accident as the cause and PCS as the diagnosis. I don't think there is any evidence to link your symptoms to the accident.

The typical PCS symptoms can also be caused by many other issues.

My observation is you had a TIA or something similar and were struck hard with a 'What the ..... happened?" anxiety. With this anxiety, you became super sensitive to any sense of dizziness. Now, you maintain this super sensitivity to any dizziness.

I deal with 2 kinds of dizziness. The blood pressure kind that resolves when I give my BP a chance to catch up after getting up from a chair. The other dizziness manifests when I am overstimulated. I can usually overcome it by stopping to focus and catch my bearings. I can also get a sense of dizziness from thinking about dizziness. If I stop what I am doing to check to see if I am dizzy, I will notice some sensation of dizziness. If I ignore it, it goes away.

A similar situation happens with headaches. When somebody on NT complains about head aches, as I write a post, I will notice a head ache.

This is a known phenomenon sometimes called a memorized response. Thinking about a past condition can cause the symptoms of that condition to manifest. Therapy (CBT, Cognitive Behavioral Therapy) can help to break the memorized response.

A large part of balance is dependent on visual perception. Any visual problems can cause a sense of dizziness.

The tests you have already had likely cover any issues the Doppler will find other than imaging plaque that has formed in your arteries.
Mark, your conclusion is that anxiety is creating the sense of dizziness after I had a TIA and that I should seek cognitive therapy? Can we fully rule out PCS as the cause of the dizziness 15 months after my car accident? If this is truly now a cognitive issue would physical or vestibular therapy still be useful? From my research TIA symptoms only last minutes to hours so it couldn't be the TIA causing the dizziness. I do wear glasses when working on the computer but I've never experienced double vision or any other eye problems. I believe you might be right, when I was taking an SSRI my dizziness became less apparent and when I took a valium to treat my anxiety the dizziness was completely gone until the effects wore off. If someone truly had PCS would taking an SSRI or Valium eliminate the headaches, dizziness and other symptoms that accompany a PCS?
StayPositiveNStrong is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote