View Single Post
Old 11-01-2017, 12:01 PM

5 yr Member

5 yr Member
Default responses

JBuckl - thanks for the LLLT link. I have done lots of research already, and while I think it probably only has a ~10% chance of working, I'm happy to try it as there seems to be little risk. Eventually, if you keep trying 10% efficacious therapies, probability states that you are likely to hit on something that does work. The biggest questions I have about LLLT is getting enough penetration into the brain, hence my decision to order this powerful light from red light man. I'm also a little concerned that one study showed a dependence on the infrared light, such that the patients regressed after stopping applications. Interesting and troubling.

M in Idaho - when I refer to effects of neurogenesis occuring at 6 weeks I am including the generation of new synapses between existing neurons. You don't have to form completely new neurons to learn new things obviously, otherwise we'd still likely be in the trees with the chimps.

cognitive fx's fMRI's are employed using their proprietary NCI (a series of mental exercises while in the MRI), in conjunction with their own interpretation. This is the biggest unknown about their objective data, because you just have to trust that they aren't making any unfounded leaps in their understanding of the data. I do believe that there are some who have profound recoveries because of their work at cognitive fx, but I think that this is less common and happens more often in the younger and closer to date of injury patients.

I believe that brain exercises can be very effective at not only improving performance in the particular exercise, but also more globally applicable to other cognitive functions. The key is in accurate identification and targeting of specific deficits in cognitive performance. Stroke rehab is often very efficacious if the patients applies himself to the exercises, because the area of injury is localized, easily identified, and easily targeted with exercises. TBI is much more difficult as the injury seems to be spread out and deficits ambiguous at best. So the questions we are stuck with are what are my exact deficits, and how do I exercise them to get better? Finally, I think that many of us refractory cases have brain-stem related damage, which causes more globalized symptoms without clear-cut deficits and regenerates much slower if at all.

SilenceisSacred - I'm sorry that your experience at cog FX was detrimental, that must be very hard for you. I feel like I got some good out of it, but not necessarily in the form of symptom relief. I feel bad about spending so much of our family resources on this venture, that wasn't the outcome we were hoping for, but I can't imagine coming out of it feeling worse. Keep working on getting better, don't lose hope. Most people do recover significantly, it just takes a lot of time and persistence.
shanebox is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote