View Single Post
Old 11-01-2017, 06:38 PM
Legendary

15 yr Member
Legendary

15 yr Member

When we do memory exercises, there are two different ways that memory can improve. Physiological improvement where the neurons, axons and dendrites improve function would be considered a healing caused. The more common improvement is in learning better observation skills and focus skills so the concept needing memorization is sensed without distraction.

Prior to injury, memory skills often were at a high function because the brain could sort through all the distractions and find the concept needing memorization without any extra effort needed. With injury, we need to make a conscious effort to ignore the distractions and focus on the concepts at hand.

That is what brain training usually does. Because people do it routinely and often with a focus to do the best they can, they utilize more focus and learn to ignore distractions.

A prime example of this is in the educational setting. A student who could easily remember the subject matter and get high test scores suddenly has a mTBI that changes these issues. He now needs to learn a different way to study because memorizing no longer comes easy. He has not lost intelligence to understand the concepts. he has just lost the ability to be a lazy or passive learner and now needs to focus and be an active learner. I went though this exact scenario a few times from 5 grade through college. Unfortunately, there was no understanding of these issues I just just had to fight my way through.

I've had communications with BrainHQ/Posit Science since they were first getting started. They admit they are a skills development program, not a brain repair program. Lumosity and FitBrains have the same understanding.

Brain training is still good even though it does not affect healing/repair because the skills learned enable us to improve in many areas.

We also need to understand there is a difference between stroke recovery where an area is not damaged but rather forced into a dormant state due to a lack of blood supply and mTBI were the cells and fibers are damaged. Repetition will awaken dormant cells and nerve channels but it will not cause a damaged cell or fiber to heal. Getting blood to that area will be beneficial.

Look up Victoria Arlen and read about how long it took to wake up dormant cells. Six years of hours each day trying to push nerve signals through the nerve pathways in some areas. The cells were there and minimally alive. Those nerve cells just did not know how they were supposed to function.

If CogFX has such a good protocol, they would be replicating it in clinics all over the country. Are they afraid that bringing new people into the proprietary data will expose the weaknesses of their science? Are they afraid of peer review?
Dr Daniel Amen has replicated his protocol.

"Be still and know that I am God" Psalm 46:10
Mark in Idaho is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote