View Single Post
Old 11-02-2017, 08:48 PM
Legendary

15 yr Member
Legendary

15 yr Member

Nathan,

Welcome to NeuroTalk. Sorry to hear of your wreck. It sounds like one my daughter got into a few years ago. Bruise sternum, cracked ribs, partial shoulder dislocation, strained pelvis from the seat belt. Severe whiplash with non-contact concussion. These are sometimes called brain stem concussions since the trauma is to the part of the neck that contains the brain stem.

There are a few things for you to consider.

It is likely most if not all of your symptoms are from your neck. Even the mental fatigue is a side-effect of your neck and poor blood flow in your neck that prevents restorative sleep.

Your priority should be to not strain your neck.
No golf with the head and shoulder twisting.

Find a way to get comfortable in a reclined position so you can sleep with straight head and neck posture.

Use anti inflammatory meds or supplements. Turmeric is useless. Concentrated curcumin with pepper extract is what you want. There is very little curcumin in turmeric (only a few percent of absorbable curcumin). You'd need to consume .25 to .5 liters a day to get the therapeutic benefit you need. 4 or more curcumin extract concentrate capsules will do better. Icing will also be good.

Your physiotherapist should be doing very gentle traction and mobilization. No range of motion exercises until neck symptoms subside substantially. The neck ligaments and tendons need to strengthen and heal.

You may need some meds to settle the nerve twitches. Gabapentin worked for me. There are other meds, too.

You are making a good choice in finding simple things to stay busy. Legos, real playing cards, and any manual activities to help you focus and give your brain gentle stimulus will be good.

Most important is to find a way to get some quality sleep. When you find a way, you will be surprise at how much better you feel, even if for a very short time. The more nights of good sleep, the more you will improve as you give you neck time to heal.

btw, It is not recommended to use a last name. Report your post to the admins with a comment to remove your last name and replace it with something relative to you.

My best to you.

"Be still and know that I am God" Psalm 46:10

Last edited by Mark in Idaho; 11-03-2017 at 10:56 AM.
Mark in Idaho is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote