View Single Post
Old 11-03-2017, 02:49 PM

5 yr Member

5 yr Member
Default responses

Mark in Idaho: I appreciate all the wisdom and time that you bring to this board and to those in need. There is so much ambiguity in this field of post concussion syndrome and potential treatments. That said, let's make sure we acknowledge when we are stipulating about something, verses proclaiming to have the answers when we don't.

btw - strokes involve the death of nerve cells, as blood supply has been cut off due to an event and they starve. Now there are some strokes, called transient ischemic attacks in which the nerves recover as blood flow quickly returns, but with these strokes symptoms fully resolve in 24 hours or less. CVA (long term) stroke patients often recover by shunting the neural workload to other healthy areas of the brain to take over these deficit areas. They are not able to reawaken the dead tissue. Stroke is a interesting pathology to compare PCS against, as both involve the damage/destruction of nerve tissue, yet only one tends to be responsive to rehabilitation. Why? I stipulated a potential response to that in my earlier post.

"Arlen, at the age of eleven,[3] developed two rare conditions known as transverse myelitis and acute disseminated encephalomyelitis. "
So she had a profound inflammatory event of the brain and muscle tissue, also leading to peripheral nerve damage. This is comparable to PCS recovery how? lets not use this single separate case as justification that PCS should behave similarly. They are likely two very different pathologies entirely.

JBuckl - be sure when you purchase a device that it indicates a high power density. Red light man seems to have a good guide for dosing. "Light therapy studies tend to use power densities of ~10mW/cm² up to a max ~200mW/cm²."
search: red light man complete-guide-light-therapy-dosing
shanebox is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote