View Single Post
Old 11-07-2017, 11:22 AM
Legendary

15 yr Member
Legendary

15 yr Member

Back in 1982, I was under high stress after being ripped off by a real estate developer for hundreds of thousands of dollars. My cognitive skills were a in seriously dysfunctional state. I could not finish sentences. I was walking around like a zombie. A psychiatrist diagnosed a serious depression. He got me started on the vitamin regimen with a focus on B-12 and mega dose anti-oxidants. I do not have any recollection of having suffered any kind of head trauma.

In 2002, after a head and neck injury in 2001 and over a year of cognitive struggles, a Neuro Psychologist did an assessment and found serious dysfunction in my cognitive skills. Because of my high scores in the WAIS-II adult intelligence assessment, he diagnosed my cognitive and memory problems as the result of depression. In this case, I scored very low on the depression scales. I researched depression and cognitive skills and found that depression/anxiety can cause a reduction in cognitive skills. I also found that there is a huge overlap between depression/anxiety caused and injury caused loss of cognitive skills.

All this to say there is no way to know the cause of your struggles until you are properly assessed by a professional.

Your accident and MMA neck strain could have triggered an increased anxiety and depression episode. Many with PCS start with injury caused struggles that become worse from the anxiety/depression symptoms. Your focus on details suggests an obsessive focus. This is a sign of anxiety. You are likely a very driven person with high achievement standards. People like that are impacted more severely by PCS so depression/anxiety is more prevalent.

The shortness of breath is a common symptom of anxiety. It comes from muscle rigidity. The anxiety causes people to tense up muscles to the point that they unconsciously hold or slow their breathing until their brain says, "Help, I'm not breathing." It is part of what is sometimes called postural rigidity where the muscles in the torso are held tense.

The dosages in the Be Total are very low. They are dosed to prevent malnutrition, not encourage healing and better stress tolerance. RI or RDA is an amount needed to prevent malnutrition, not to support an injured or stressed nervous system. The B-12 should be 500 to 1000 mcgs or more. The folic acid should be 400 to 500 mcgs. B-6 should be 20 mgs or more.

From a google search, Neuro Psychological Assessments are used in Italy (I think you said that is where you are). The MMSE, Mini Mental Status Exam is also used as an early stage screening tool. Both use tests of memory, motor function, executive functioning etc to diagnose brain and psychological dysfunctions. The MMSE is often done by a medical doctor. It only takes 10 to 20 minutes. The rest are done by neuro psychologists.

"Be still and know that I am God" Psalm 46:10
Mark in Idaho is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote