View Single Post
Old 11-09-2017, 11:56 PM
Newly Joined

5 yr Member
Newly Joined

5 yr Member
Default Mild head impacts while recovering from PCS

I’m new to posting in this forum btw, but not new to reading it. Thanks to whomever created it. It has been very helpful. I’m posting because no one (that I can find) has talked about the importance of avoiding additional impacts to the head. So this post is perhaps part anxiety, part science - when your brain is in a weakened state, what sorts of impacts can really cause additional damage? What can’t? What warrants the stress you’re feeling and what doesn’t?

I’ve been recovering from a concussion (that I experienced while playing two-hand-touch football) and a mild second impact (while surfing 2 weeks later - very lucky it wasn’t worse, but also had very poor advice from my doctor aka no advice to avoid activity) for 7 months now. It’s been a rough recovery. Ups and downs, but I’ve had some good support along the way which has been very helpful. I have seen multiple neurologists to talk over my symptoms, have received tons of recommendations including some contradicting ones, and have had an MRI and a CT scan which came up clear. I am now exercising more again, and doing physical therapy and cranio sacral therapy which seems to be helping the most.

I’ve bonked my head a few times during this recovery - I just can’t seem to be able to avoid it - the best I can do to be aware of my head just doesn't seem to be good enough. One while swimming (I swam into a wall while doing the backstroke), and one while looking at a book in the library while not paying attention while leaning forward where I hit my forehead on the shelf. Both of those brought increased symptoms, but this time feels quite different. This time I was feeling almost symptom free for 2-3 weeks beforehand. This time I was installing a propane tank after cleaning our grill, messing with the propane valve while kneeling, when I stood up quickly and bonked the top of my head on a piece of metal on the bottom of an outdoor hot water heater box (which when I touched it just a few minutes ago it does not give). I was feeling light headed the night that it happened but I was also pretty hungry. A day and a half later i was on a walk, and I started feeling symptoms I haven’t felt for 2-3 months. I was feeling moments of dizziness again/vertigo, and general dizziness by the end of the walk. Today, a day later, I am feeling more brain-moving sensations and throbbing (some of the many symptoms I’ve felt over the past few months), and a massive headache that I’ve had for the past day in a half (but luckily just went away this morning). I’ve had no return of feeling confused, dazed or any other form of mental incapacity that I can recognize though.

My question is - can something like this, this far into recovery, actually cause a mild concussion where it prolongs my recovery or makes it worse, doing more damage? Or is it simply a manifestation of symptoms again - maybe something similar to PTSD or something from the original event that is causing me to be so afraid of hitting my head again? Granted I just bonked my head much harder than I did swimming and I do have a return of symptoms, but I’m also anxious and stressed about it. Looking at it logically, I do feel like the G-forces to my head a few days ago could not have been even in the mild concussive range and there’s no way I could have actually done any real damage that warrants a return of symptoms, but it doesn't change the fact that I am feeling symptoms again. So is it really possible that I did even more damage like I am imagining or is this just part of the ups and downs of recovery?
cmer is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote