View Single Post
Old 11-10-2017, 08:13 PM
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member

Hi typhoon,

I'm sorry you are experiencing so much trouble with this dental issue. The area of infection that was recently cleaned out could be the result of several things. To just name a few of them...

** Is that tooth root canaled?
** Does the tooth have decay or a large or deep filling in it?
** Do you have periodontal disease?
** Was the tooth that was extracted a root canaled tooth?

All root canaled teeth are chronically infected as there is no dental procedure, such as a root canal, that can cure an infected tooth. So if a tooth has been root canaled, it would be typical for the infection to become more virulent if a tooth is extracted next to it.

If the extracted tooth had been root canaled, it is typical for the infection to spread to adjacent teeth. This spread of infection would show itself clearly when the rc tooth is extracted.

If the tooth has a large or deep filling in it, the tooth may be infected.

Periodontal disease is a systemic infection. The pus from this type of infection, even in adjacent teeth. would become evident when a tooth is extracted.

Have you been brushing and flossing your teeth routinely since the extraction? If not, then plaque will readily accumulate and infection will result in or near the surgical site.

Have you been eating on that side of your mouth since the extraction? It is recommended to avoid eating on the affected side until the surgical wound closes over, which could be several days. Food debris can become trapped inside or near the surgical socket (even if the site is sutured) and lead to a bacterial infection.

What have you been rinsing with since the extraction? It is best to avoid ALL mouthwashes as the chemicals are too harsh and will irritate the wound which could lead to inflammation and infection. It is best to rinse with warm salt water only, nothing else.

The packing that they placed in that area ... did they tell you it would dissolve on its own? If it is a non absorbing material, then you will need to go back when it falls out, if you still have pain, and have it replaced in a day or two. If the packing is falling out and you want to try to keep it in the socket until tomorrow, use a clean moist q-tip to gently push it in.... do not use your finger or anything else that could possibly cause bacteria to attach itself to the packing material. The material may not stay in and don't be forceful trying to make it stay in. Sometimes the area becomes inflamed from the bottom up and pushes the material out. In that case, pushing it back down could cause further inflammation.

You could try some pure clove oil, a drop or two, into that area when the packing falls out and if you still have bad pain.

It's important to not smoke as that will prevent the site from healing properly. It's also important to eat a health soft food diet and avoid chewing on that side.

I hope this information helps you and you are pain free soon!
Bryanna

Quote:
Originally Posted by typhoon35 View Post
hi, thanks.

i went back again. i must say they are very thorough at the hospital dentist. either that or they were fed up with me.

i'd had a swab taken from the infection and that had come back as 'normal'. but i had two further xrays on that extraction site to check and double check to see if there was any tooth had been left behind and that was clear and nothing wrong with the tooth that hurt and all the socket and whatsnot looked fine. so they said it was referred pain. they cleaned it again and packed it again, they put so much of that stuff in it nearly choked me (im not sure if that was purposely done) but seriously, just touching it right now i've only just noticed it doesn't feel tender around there. the packing looks like its ready to fall out which im worried about incase i should get any pain, its friday night aswell so no dentist open until monday.

***I have been in the dental profession for 4 decades. I am an educator and Certified Dental Assistant extensively experienced in chair side assisting and dental radiography. The information that I provide here is my opinion based on my education and professional experience. It is not meant to be taken as medical advice.***
Bryanna is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
typhoon35 (11-11-2017)