View Single Post
Old 11-12-2017, 09:14 AM

8 yr Member

8 yr Member

And my father's guinea pig status is still paying off, he has one more chemo treatment this upcoming week and will need 10 more radiation treatments following that so he'll be all done on the 22nd (my birthday ) and he has yet to take any pain medication, or even feel the need to. He's still eating like a horse (college frat boy horse, but a horse nonetheless) and has actually gained weight through his treatment, both in muscle and a little bit of fat . That he has gained pudge is shocking to the extreme since my father has always, always been the type to never gain an ounce no matter what he eats or does... lucky devil, couldn't pass those genes along .... Though the muscle mass is more from him walking, still walking... to his appointments. Which is far more active than he has been in probably 20 years.

And he has encouraged those staying at the lodge nearby his treatments to do the same, not quite so much for the diet, but the getting out and walking, it's just a few blocks to radiation from the lodge, it's just a few blocks over to the VA for the pharmacy and fluids, just a few blocks back to radiation, just a few blocks back to the lodge (those "few blocks" here there and everywhere though add up quickly through the course of the day though). I'm guessing my father missed his calling as a motivational speaker . Because even the people at the lodge are surprised at the number of people who are kind of following my folks out the door in the morning, or leaving shortly after and taking at least the morning stroll over to their doctor's office. They've had a few patients over the years decide it was just easier to walk than wait on shuttles, but never a "trend-setter" like my dad who has more than half the patients now walking to their doctors.

And on the whole, most of those that are walking (including the patient who's in a wheelchair and is being pushed to his doctor's appts) are doing better... so I guess there's something to be said for fresh air and exercise in going through cancer treatments, it's possible that has a much higher effect on it than diet. Though I guess it shouldn't be a revelation, since how long ago did the book Heidi come out? One sickly kid sent to the mountains, and one sent to bed... Mountain kid becomes healthy and strong, take the sickly bedridden kid to the mountains and same thing repeats... rather makes me question the wisdom of laying in bed when struck with a cold or flu Though even in the book, the bedridden kid was given broth and veggies, out in the mountains she was given fats and protein and high amounts of starch soooo....
kiwi33 (11-15-2017), PamelaJune (11-12-2017)