View Single Post
Old 11-15-2017, 05:14 PM
Legendary

15 yr Member
Legendary

15 yr Member

CowboysKat,

Welcome back.

You should add B-12 and the other Bs to your regimen. A good dose of curcumin extract a couple times a day would be worthwhile to see if it reduces your inflammation.

Finding a position that does not strain your neck is a challenge. It takes effort to learn to sleep without support lifting the head. I roll the sides of my pillow up so it supports my head from moving to the side.

It takes good discipline to get each chiro treatment to last. Icing after an adjustment can help. Find a good chiro out of 3 is amazing. I have found maybe 1 in 6 is any good. Most are too mechanical in their treatment.

The word finding without memory problems is not a big deal. I would trade my memory problems for more word finding problems any day. Pushing too hard to find a word usually just makes it worse. There are a variety of word fining problems. Considering the severity of brain injuries you have had, you should be grateful these are your only problems. I and many of my mTBI friends are much worse from less severe injuries.

Other than your pain, the rest of your problems can be managed. Try to learn to accept them and find ways to minimize the impact they have on your life. Understanding the word finding so you do not feel like a failure each time will be important. The frustration of trying to find the simple words can be a struggle. I have lived with that for 17 years. There is a part of the brain that is damaged. It may never recover. A speech therapist may be able to help you with some strategies. Sometimes, I can look around the room and as I see different images, my brain unlocks and the word pops up.

I hope you have put your riding helmet away. It sounds like riding has been a big part of your injuries. Ouch.

Dimming computer screens can help. F-lux.com can help if the computer does not have a dimming function on the key board. Tinted glasses can help. Getting a full assessment by a behavioral optometrist can be helpful. Check https://nora.cc/healthcare-locator.html

You should feel fortunate that you can pursue college. I had to drop out. I did not have any help or understand my struggles. I just knew my brain was messing up. I finished high school with honors despite having one bad year due to a head injury. I mostly recovered from that bad year but my cognitive struggles came roaring back in college.

Take college slow if you have to. Ask the Disabilities Office if they can help you. Lecture notes or recordings, more time for exams, and other accommodations can make a difference.

"Be still and know that I am God" Psalm 46:10
Mark in Idaho is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote