View Single Post
Old 11-19-2017, 09:58 AM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SecondChances View Post
I drank because of loneliness, depression and anxiety and now I want to drink because of happiness? Go figure.
Important: it's how our addiction works. For what it is worth, my most difficult moments in the first year were the happy moments. Less pain in PN, or having lost 30kg of bodyfat, or or... "Hey, that needs to be celebrated, right? Where's the whisk.... oh, damn!"

I've used the visual before: inside our brain there is a reptile part that is still active. We evolved, and added other brain parts that made us a bit smarter, or nicer, or able to play chess against a computer (but we still need a part that makes it easier to understand remote controls ). But the reptile brain is still there, still active, still needed for fight or flight. And it will use all its power to get you to drink again. It waits for weak moments, when your rational part of the brain is distracted with celebration, grief, pain. It is patient, very very patient.

But we can beat it. You are beating it. Just be aware it's there, don't feel guilty when it rears its ugly head, it's normal at first, just tell it to take a hike, that you have better things to do. In the end it will learn, and don't bother you anymore, or very seldom. That's when being sober becomes a lot easier.
"Thanks for this!" says:
coopster (12-31-2017), kiwi33 (11-19-2017), PamelaJune (11-19-2017), SecondChances (11-19-2017)