View Single Post
Old 11-25-2017, 12:41 PM
Legendary

15 yr Member
Legendary

15 yr Member

M1a1983.

Welcome to NeuuroTalk.

I'm sorry to hear you are struggling so. Concussions can be miserable.

Currently, you are recovering from a concussion. PCS is a diagnosis that is a month down the road. Yeah, docs don't usually know much about concussions. Post concussion syndrome is saved for those who do not recover in the first 6 to 8 weeks. 85% do recover by 6 weeks or so.

Stay out of bed except for normal sleep time. Bed rest at this point in your recovery will only delay your recovery. Try to find low stress activities to keep your mind busy. It needs to be stimulated so blood flows and helps the healing.

The numb and swollen face is not common. How does your neck feel?

Help me understand your injury. Did you stand up under the window and smack the back or side of your head?

Other than the speaking challenges that are common to concussions, what other symptoms are you having?

Many concussions come with a subtle neck injury. It is similar to a whiplash injury. This can cause numbness and a myriad of symptoms. It is important to sleep with good head and neck posture. You want to maintain a straight neck. No bent, tilted or twisted neck positions, especially during sleep. If the neck is stiff, a physiotherapist or chiropractor who uses gentle techniques can often help.

So, find some simple activities. Read to your daughter. Do any manual tasks, games, knitting, crocheting, art, etc. Expect to struggle in a work situation where there are lots of voices. More than one or two voices can be over-stimulating and stressful. Some use foam earplugs to reduce sound stimulation so they can focus on a task.

Take short, frequent breaks if you need to work on the computer. I know of a computer app that will tell you it is break time after 25 minutes. It works with Firefox Quantum browser and is called Tomato Clock.

Give yourself a break. Try to accept that you may feel lousy. Try not to fight against it. Stressing out is the best way to slow your recovery.

In time, you will start to feel and do better.

My best to you.

"Be still and know that I am God" Psalm 46:10
Mark in Idaho is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote