View Single Post
Old 07-18-2007, 08:26 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Arrow Competitive Bidding Law

The Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services (CMS) is at it again. Their preparing to allow the Lowest Bidder provide Complex Power Wheelchairs and Seating Systems!

This message was sent to me by my disability resource center. Please pass it along to as many people as possible.

I am asking for your help to stop a Medicare law that will devastate persons in wheelchairs. A competitive bidding law was passed that includes complex rehab equipment. On May 9th two reppresentatives introduced an Act that will make the Complex Rehab Equipment exempt from the law. It is imperative to "carve out" the Vomplex Rehab Equipment from this law because it allows the lowest bidder to provide a complex seating system or power wheelchair or speech generating device. This competitive bidding does not take into account any expertise from the vendor or skill level from the vendor let alone, the rapport that the wheelchair bound person may have developed over the years with their vendor. I can tell you from personal experience that some vendors may have "Medicare required credentials" but do not provide adequate equipment, follow-up, or service to their clients.

This competitive bidding is currently being trialed in 10 metropolitan areas across the U.S.! If this is not stopped, a person who requires a wheelchair cannot choose the best or most qualified or even use the same vendor that they have relied on throughout their life for their equipment.

Please go to http://www.ComplexRehab.org for complete background information and to access the tools to get this legislation passed. Click on the TAKE ACTION button to email your Senators and Representative asking for their support of Bill HR-2231. Follow up your email with a phone call to their local offices to get their commitment of support. Most importantly spread the word and get as many others to follow your lead.

Barb
moose53 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote