Thread: C5 Palsy
View Single Post
Old 12-01-2017, 05:33 AM
Newly Joined

5 yr Member
Newly Joined

5 yr Member
Thumbs up You inspire me!

What an awesome gentleman! I had surgery 11-15-17 and 7 days after surgery the C5 palsy began. I loved your layman's version definition of C5 palsy. I have many years of medical background and though I understand, your version was excellent! I had posterior cervical fusion and laminectomy/mass fusion. I felt it very strange I was a star patient until 6 days into my hospital stay I was transported by a maniac for a final CT scan before being discharged on the 7th day. The woman who transported me was out to get me(We shall call her "Hellga" to give you a visual)! She purposely went over a huge dent/floor damage that I pointed out to here getting into the elevator and I howled in pain. I have never howled a day in my life! I was balling my eyes out. She denied she did any wrongdoing and made it I think in one piece to the CT scan. Would you believe me if I told you she took me over the same exact spot on the way back to my room and this time the pain was so intense that I cried out and began sobbing. I stood up and she told me to sit down. I told her that I would not allow her to hurt me a 3rd time, (I shouldn't have let it happen a second time but I gave Hellga the benefit of the doubt). Of course, I made sure that the hospital was aware of what had been done to me and told the doctor the next day as well. Before being discharged about 12 hours after my trauma, all the usual neurological testing was done as it had been several times a day since surgery. I got home and noticed that whenever I used my left arm I was lifting my shoulder but it wasn't until the following day, 8 days out from surgery, when being handed a cup that I was reaching for it but my arm was not cooperating. My son asked what I was doing and I said I was waiting for him to hand me the cup. He said he was and at that moment I told him my arm is out as far as it would go. He got a little upset and panicky wondering whats wrong with mom. I told him my arm was probably tired and I didn't think about again until I tried to pull my pants up and thought this is not normal. For the sake of saving time, I will say that I ended up going to the ER for an MRI. The Neurosurgeon on call thought I might have a blood clot pressing on a nerve or something. MRI normal but was told I got C5 palsy and the rest is history. My pain is more discomfort than pain at this point. I've started PT and am religious about my exercises. I want to improve as soon as I can, I will be a first-time grandma in April and am planning to help care for my new grandson, I will need two good arms. Your progress is inspiring and your attitude is awesome. Your wife must be very proud of you, you're such a hard worker! I will keep reading here about your progress and if I have any significant changes I might even post them. Thank you very much!
TheGirlGeek is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Ellesabeth (12-15-2023)