View Single Post
Old 12-01-2017, 09:07 PM
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member

Hi Dcastell,

Tongue thrusting is usually seen in children and can readily be corrected. In adulthood, this can be a tricky habit to break. However, you may find some help consulting with an orthodontist who may suggest and fabricate an appliance called a tongue crib. He may also suggest some exercises to help break the habit.

The goal is to stop the habit, which a mouth guard will not do.

Hope you can consult with the orthodontist soon.
Bryanna

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dcastell View Post
Hello, all.
I have a problem with tongue thrusting while I sleep. My tongue pushes agaist my upper front teeth so hard that by morning my front teeth are in pain, and the pain radiates across my face. Even the eyes hurt.
Until I can figure out the cause, I need some sort of tooth guard. But most appear to be for grinding and wouldn't inhibit my tongue from pushing against my teeth.
I tried a guard from one of those teeth-whitening kids, but it wasn't made to be in your mouth overnight and irritated the inside of my mouth.
Any suggestions on a moth guard that could help me?

***I have been in the dental profession for 4 decades. I am an educator and Certified Dental Assistant extensively experienced in chair side assisting and dental radiography. The information that I provide here is my opinion based on my education and professional experience. It is not meant to be taken as medical advice.***
Bryanna is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote