View Single Post
Old 12-07-2017, 05:53 PM

5 yr Member

5 yr Member
Default Anxiety and finding the balance for risk tolerance

Anxiety is obviously a big issue for a lot of people with PCS. Clearly, the anxiety is problematic as stress hormones like cortisol and the mental effort of worrying are not helpful for recovery.

Unfortunately, "not worrying" can be difficult for a lot of people. I personally have obsessive-compulsive disorder. Not such a great combination with a head injury. I frequently worry about hitting my head and reinjuring myself and/or prolonging my recovery. I'm working with a therapist and making a great effort to deal with my anxiety but it can be a slow and painful process with OCD.

I'm making this post to both deal with some anxiety about today and also to pose a broader question about risk tolerance.

I was at the doctor's office today and the doctor tapped me 3 times quite firmly on my forehead and 3 times on my cheekbone with her 3 biggest fingers together. I'm having a hard time dealing with the worries that this could be problematic.

How does everyone view risk tolerance? The main guideline that I've heard is to avoid contact sports while still symptomatic. I'm definitely avoiding anything like that, but are those the only activities that you would avoid in regards to minimizing the chance for reinjury?

If you were getting something checked at the doctor and the doc said "Let me know if it hurts when I tap your head," would you ask not to have your head tapped? Are there any other scenarios in between contact sports and just living your life that you would avoid? Might you avoid busy public transportation or moving quickly in tight spaces? How about hugging people that you know often make big or erratic movements? Do you find yourself being extra careful in certain situations?
jtoronto is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote