View Single Post
Old 12-15-2017, 01:12 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by coopster View Post
Here's a thought though. I am only on day 31, and I am beginning to wonder wether or not it's a good idea, (for me), to be counting up? Sometimes I wonder wether or not my subconcious is using it as a countdown to the next drink?
Had to think of you today. Had lunch with an old friend. He used to see me every week - even during my really heavy drinking periods - both for work and private (we played music together). He was one of the ones that thought "it wasn't so bad though was it?" He still did today BTW. But more important, I somehow said "2011 days now", and he said "they all do that, don't they, the counting?" So I had to explain to him that no, some don't.

Find your own best rituals, it's a very personal thing. I remember this being discussed in rehab a lot too. There it was about "but we always talk about booze here, so of course we think about wanting to drink all the time". It's similar, in that you somehow learn to separate the subject or the "number" from the actual drinking.

It may well be that, after a while, you feel secure enough to start counting. Or, again, not. Doesn't matter Never feel bad about how you do things, as long as they help you.

Also interesting: he is one of the people that think/said "But if you drank today, it wouldn't be so bad anymore, would it? I mean, after 5 years plus!" He was serious, and concerned, it wasn't to yank my chain. So I had to explain that it is not how it works, on the contrary. He learned a new word today (kindling...)

There are still many misconceptions about alcoholism, even with very smart people.
Wide-O is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
PamelaJune (12-18-2017)