Thread: C5 Palsy
View Single Post
Old 12-18-2017, 11:53 AM

8 yr Member

8 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter24 View Post
Thanks Jastek, if found your post very helpful in a better education of my issue. I had Posterior surgery a week ago. Right cervical three four five Hemilaminectomy, foraminotomy. (no fusion) 60 year old male.
While in recovery I found no use of my right deltoid. Since Im new to C5 Palsy I would be interested in anyone’s experiences. Are exercises useful in the regrowth of the nerves or is it more to keep from getting a frozen shoulder. I read one white paper that talked about the use of steroids, has that been useful for anyone? Also the fact that i had no fusion, positive for rehab?
Peter24 - The exercises really serve the main purpose of keeping your muscles from atrophying and retraining the muscles as they get reinervated. In a small way, they also help the nerves grow. The muscle activity creates electrical signals that help guide the nerves to grow back through their original path.

Steroids are usually only used as an initial treatment to prevent swelling, which can minimize the damage to the nerves. I have not heard of using steroids as an on-going treatment. I would be interested in reading the article.

I don't think your lack of a fusion helps your recovery much. Your recovery is all about nerve regeneration and a fusion (or not) should not impact the nerve's ability to re-grow.

Good luck on your recovery !!
Jastek is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote