View Single Post
Old 12-19-2017, 06:00 AM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

I think you are doing a good job - or getting better at - managing expectations. PN will hinder us - each and every person on this thread I think - but will not prevent us from living a full life. And indeed, many people are so much worse off.

Also: to be clear, improvement is still possible. I'm trying to be as honest as I can here, but things are always "in a context". I went from a level 7 to 8/10 pain situation to a usual 2 (with proper medication) to 4 (on a bad day). That is huge. But it's still chronic pain, and affects me, and I need to deal with that, and I have bad days with "why me?" too. But less and less so. Because I adapted my expectations to match reality.

Sure, no all day shopping for you, I get that. But shopping for a small hour is about a small hour more than I could manage after 8 months sober. It took me 2 years before I could go to a live pop-concert, standing for 1.5 hours, but sitting down occasionally for some relief. Still, I was up for about an hour though, at least. Felt like I finished a marathon and won the lottery at the same time.

So... enjoy that one hour or even 30 minutes you can manage. Festivities are a blessing to some, but a total drag on many many people. So yeah, try to have some fun nonetheless, and good on you for being able to think about those who are less fortunate still.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SecondChances View Post
Just checking in. Unfortunately I am missing out on much of the holiday festivities as they involve walking and standing and I can't put myself in that situation and so have had to make up random excuses to hide behind. I must keep my expectations modest and realistic. I manage well in my little dwelling but when I venture out I struggle. Today I am going to do a bit of shopping but long gone are the days where I can spend hours at the stores just to knock things out. If I can manage an hour I will consider that a good day.
There is much drama around me with neighbors and friends. It is just especially sad this time of year when so many are sustaining such terrible losses and struggling with major illnesses. As discouraged and depressed as I am over my neuropathy issues, I consider myself lucky as I look around me and the struggles of others. I brought this on myself while they are innocent victims. My heart hurts for them.
Wide-O is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
kiwi33 (12-19-2017), PamelaJune (12-19-2017), SecondChances (12-19-2017)