View Single Post
Old 12-21-2017, 05:41 PM
Legendary

15 yr Member
Legendary

15 yr Member

Yes, Christmas is a time to love. But, it is also a time of extreme levels of sensory stimulation, planning, juggling activities, etc. These all heighten how the brain responds and remembers symptoms. I have learned to become almost a shut-in during this time. I can moderate my exposure by avoiding busy and loud environments and staggering activities so they are not back to back.

Your comment "I became hyper sensitive to any touch to the head or startle in general. If I didn’t get a full nights sleep I couldn’t function because I felt like my brain was going to be compromised." is often repeated here. Those who get caught in this mindset also have similar experiences to you.

The shower poke was just enough sensation to trigger the memory of those past symptoms and thoughts. As you say, when you are not triggered, you can do fine. Time can help these memorized responses fade away until another over-load resets the clock.

Some of us have rescue meds to help us settle down after an overload. I have some clonazepam and propranolol that I can used, depending on the type of response I have. I may use one once a year or so but when I do, it is a lifesaver. I know how important it is to break the thought cycle.

A concept to remember is the brain remembers thing, almost to an engraved in stone level, when those things happen under stress.

The basic idea is we get in a battle with our minds. Identifying the opposition is important. That opposition is not the bump or sharp touch. It is the memorized symptoms the brain throws at us with these minimal triggers. It can be even worse if the trigger causes us to check for symptoms. Checking for symptoms is an almost guarantee of those symptoms manifesting.

Some will start with simple concussion symptoms that are prolonged so they start researching concussion. All of a sudden, other symptoms start manifesting based on the the suggestions they got in their research. The concussed and anxious mind can do tricks on us. The Concussion movie a few years ago added anxiety to many who have suffered concussions.

Do you have access to a home blood pressure kit. The bit of anxiety can cause an elevated blood pressure that can contribute to headaches. This is why I have the rescue propranolol.

If you can moderate and weather the next week and get past New Years, I bet things will settle down. But, it is still worthwhile to work on getting help to resolve the chance of repeating this cycle. Accepting that these responses are real and you are not going crazy or something can help to move toward understanding how to moderate them.

I hope this helps.

My best to you.

"Be still and know that I am God" Psalm 46:10
Mark in Idaho is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote