View Single Post
Old 12-22-2017, 08:51 AM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

How many Koi did they take? I think I have about 30 or more. No rains for a few months now, summer has arrived... days and days of 30 plus for the next 3 months.

I’ve attached photos of the pond, or what you can see if the pond to give an idea of the size, the deck the dogs are sitting on (Bronson and Bono) that covers 1/2 of it, so in essence it stretches from one side of the yard about 1. To 1.5 meter in from each fence and is about 4 meters wide under the deck and 2-3 meters wide in the exposed but. A jolly big pond... you can just see the bottom of the waterfall. Can’t find a photo with the fish, I know I’ve got some but can’t see for looking... The front view of the pond has got my Holly and our Abyssinian Penne.

Could I keep small goldfish in the smaller mould? Or maybe no blinking fish then I don’t have to worry ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wide-O View Post
Pam, a practical tip from someone who's been there..
Pond will not really smell all that much normally if it has been filtered and cleaned properly. Even if it would, after a few rains that will be gone.

A small pond is still a lot of work. Think carefully if you want that. In fact, small ponds get dirtier quicker (think about it! less water volume, so every bit of "debris" takes up more space percentage wise). I would advise letting it fill.

Ask around for a construction company who needs to unload their stuff. Doesn't really matter if there are rocks in the sand, right? I'm sure you can get that done for free. Put a small layer of top soil, some grass or whatever over it: done.

PS: I did never fill in the pond though. Just kept small goldfish in them, no filtering. In the last 5 years I started again, but small, 5 big guys max. And yeah, that still takes 2 hours/week to properly maintain/debug etc. So in your case you should probably go the whole
Attached Thumbnails
Finding me again after 25 years-c9b41aa7-aab0-4c80-80cf-3e1e0475be04-jpg   Finding me again after 25 years-bdd4142c-64d3-4116-8da1-dca90e178fcb-jpeg   Finding me again after 25 years-b1c6da96-2762-4637-96da-4b347d1b0862-jpeg  
eva5667faliure (12-23-2017), ger715 (12-22-2017), Wide-O (12-22-2017)