View Single Post
Old 07-19-2007, 04:09 AM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Dear Mint,
I just signed on as member. Sorry to hear of your situation. I do not have good news when it comes to longevity of PCS. My neurologist informed me that if it lasts beyond several months there is a greater likelihood that it could possibly last the remainder of one's lifetime. I also have worse news than that, at least as it relates to my condition. This may also serve as a warning to other PCS sufferers.
My PCS has been ongoing for 34 mos. after suffering blow to the head in a trucking accident. Initial symptoms: dizziness, facial numbness, blurred vision, tinnitus, tingling in all extemities. Numbness and blurred vision went away within weeks. Dizziness later diagnosed as positional vertigo. Had limited success with therapy and can no longer drive a big rig. I have be careful with head movement and positioning. I was able to go back to work 1 yr. 8 mos. after accident. All other symptoms continued but I could live a reasonable normal life. But, that came to a screeching halt in Feb. of this yr.

I became totally exhausted physically over the course of several days prepping for and making a move to another house. My arms and legs became heavy and I had great difficulty getting through my shift as a maintenance (primarily janitorial) worker. I had to spend almost all of my off time in bed just to try and regain enough strength to go back into work. After 2 mos. of this my life just became downright miserable. I felt like a dead man walking. I could not take it anymore and had to resign my position. I basically spent the first week in bed. I regained some of my strength, but I soon found out that even minor exertion sapped my strength significantly. Just being on my feet for a couple of hrs. with limited walking was exhausting. Forget about doing anything that required more exertion, especially if it required the use of my arms.

After 2 mos. of being off work I had no choice but to contact my neurologist. I cannot get in until Sept. In the meantime I am finding it difficult to find a job I can do. It is very frustraing and scary. Is this exhaustion going to be long term?

I wonder if my body crossed some threshhold that severely aggravated my condition? I can only speculate that it had since the areas previously affected, my arms and legs, have degenerated to this present state.

I guess this could serve as a warning to anyone to not pysically exhaust themselves. I could possibly see this happening if I had been physically inactive prior to the move, but I really was doing well physically in terms of performing physical labor prior to the move. It is puzzling.

Take care Mint and my best wishes to you. I am sorry I have nothing positive to say to you, except maybe my warning.
exhausted is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote