View Single Post
Old 12-27-2017, 02:03 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmb sorefeet View Post
Hello everyone,

I'm trying to get to the bottom of small fibre neuropathy, started about three months ago. It manifested itself as an area of pain/ numbness in my right big toe on the bottom pad. Pressure while walking caused brief pain on every step. Its progressed now and is also in my left big toe. I am concerned a lot about the progression, the horrible constant burning pain that is talked about on here and on other medical websites hasn't started but i'm almost waiting for it with immense trepidation. I am particularly fearful of it affecting my ability to work (I've heard others talking about this level of impact), my wife has MS and doesn't work.

This started very soon after completing a long walk. my son and I completed the Camino de Santiago, a 500 mile trek across Spain, in August. It was a special way of turning 50 for me. But every day I had immensely painful feet after about 15 miles so that the next 5 or 10 were a challenge. I'm wondering if this could be related in some way. Does anyone have a similar experience?

Anyone's thoughts would be appreciated. How it may progress based on others experiences would also be of great interest.
Hi, Sorefeet. It's not possible to predict how your sfn may progress, because what happens over time is so variable. I believe there are others like me who've had it for years without becoming debilitated, and just learn to live with it. My sfn started after a foot injury from a long day of walking on hard surfaces in very unsupportive shoes. I had severe burning on my soles every night for a year, then it went away for a few years. Then the burning reappeared along with other symptoms, some painful and others just annoying. I've been able to manage the pain with amitriptyline, medical marijuana, and various topicals that I've learned about on this forum. So good luck with your investigation; keep educating yourself; and please try not to assume the worst.
dogwalker is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
kmb sorefeet (12-29-2017)