View Single Post
Old 12-28-2017, 02:48 AM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wide-O View Post
Exactly. The going theory in rehab from the psych was that in most cases, the cannabis brought out the underlying dysfunction, but most probably didn't cause it. FWIW, I haven't really done any research, but he is/was a highly respected professional (and president of the Psych society in my country).
Thinking/remembering further... it also brought out paranoia in people who were already very anxious. When I went in there was one guy, Jewish, very intelligent, one big huge gigantic bundle of nerves. He had been in the circle of nervous-smoke joint to calm down-bad effect-another joint to try-bad effect and even crisis.

He didn't stay. His addiction to cannabis at that point (something you rarely read) was so strong that he managed to make an arrangement with his uncle in Tel Aviv to come over; his family here (in Belgium) had said: 'If you leave rehab you are no longer welcome here.' Well, he uprooted his life, left rehab, left all his belongings (car even) and went to Israel. (not sure if he could find weed there coming to think of it, but I guess he will have)

So when people tell me "cannabis is not addictive" I say, "uhuh, sure, most of the time, but not everyone is like everyone else". I think if there's anything we learn here at NT is that no 2 people are alike, that stats are nice, but not always useful when it comes to the individual. A famous Dutch writer once wrote: "A statistician had carefully calculated, after years of research, that the little river in his town was 20cm deep on average. He waded in. He drowned."

Last edited by Wide-O; 12-28-2017 at 06:04 AM.
Wide-O is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
kiwi33 (12-28-2017)