View Single Post
Old 12-31-2017, 02:06 AM
Newly Joined

5 yr Member
Newly Joined

5 yr Member

Hello, Scoots,

This is my first day (night) on this site and this is my first post. Your post grabbed my attention because I could relate to regressive ideations about my mTBI/PCS symptoms brought on by fatigue or stress.

Anxiety can be tough pre and post injury. An injury to the brain, or a harmful experience, can affect a person's autonomic nervous system, creating that fight or flight reaction even in times we are reasonably safe. I can only imagine how just the thought of going through what you went through can stir-up anxious feelings, fear, and ambiguity. I know for me it sure does! I never want to go through it, again.

I think being honest and self-aware can be a powerful tool and you seem to know yourself quite well. However, I would suggest reviewing your symptoms and event with a medical professional. Even if it means speaking to the on-call nurse at your doctor's office or through your health insurance. That is the first step I took after my accident and is when I began my mTBI journey. I called the on-call RN number found on the back of my insurance card.

Given your injury in the past, and what you have disclosed regarding your experiences with anxiety, breathing exercises and (moving) meditation, such as mindfulness/mindfulness meditation, Yoga, Tai Chi, can help balance the autonomic nervous system and decrease symptoms of anxiety. Anxiety and high blood pressure usually go hand-in-hand, which is another reason why I would suggest checking in with a nurse or doctor about your symptoms.

You can also call the Brain Injury Association of America for information at 1-800-444-6443. Maybe they can help answer some of your questions? But I would still suggest getting yourself checked out by a medical professional. I hope, either way, you feel better soon.

Sincerely,

Baab

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoots86 View Post
Hi all,
About a year and a half ago we were on the receiving end of a fender bender which left me with some PCS that I dealt with for about five months. After reading a lot of messages on here I understand that this is light compared to some issues you all face.

Two days ago I was driving and pulling into a parking spot and accidentally hit the gas I stead of the brake which then lurched the car to hit the stone building ahead of me. Even though it was an accident I feel like a complete fool but the worst part is my anxiety kicked in immediately. But there is pretty much no damage to the car, just a couple cracks along the bumper and that’s it. Basically I just was lurched forward as the car hit the stone wall.

Since the accident I’ve felt many symptoms that I’ve had in the past from the PCS, pressure in my head, a bit of wooziness or foggy brain, a sore neck, my anxiety is elevated obviously, hot flashes, too much noise and light is a bit overwhelming. I’m so scared that I gave myself another mild concussion or my pcs has returned.

My question is, since I’m a very anxious person, how do I tell if it’s symptoms brought on by my anxiety or actual PCS symptoms. I’m returning to work on Jan 2 and I really can’t afford to take time off and rest.

Unfortunately my job is computer based and I’ve also noticed when I look at the screen too long my head starts to feel a bit tight and pressurized. Not so much a full on headache but definitely like I’m straining something.

Any advice? I’m hoping it’s mostly my anxiety and that I can get over this before I return to work.

Thanks so much and happy new year
Scoots
Baab is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote