View Single Post
Old 01-01-2018, 04:52 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SecondChances View Post
Never gets boring and those are the words I love to hear again and again. I made my New Years resolutions. Where I have failed in the past is expecting too much.
I wouldn't call it failure - that's too hard on yourself. It's very normal to expect/hope for a swift recovery. I mean, "I did a huge thing, I stopped drinking, I deserve at least some relief." Been there too. So, no, not a failure, just (indeed) over-expectations, impatience, which, funnily enough, makes things worse - as it adds to the stress levels. Adjusting expectations, and being glad with each little step forward, each bit of understanding, is key. And that takes time, there are no shortcuts (sadly).

Sure, I have pain, still. (but not too much to stop me from doing things. Many, many things.). Probably for life. But... I am soooooooo much happier now than I was 6 years ago, feeling so relieved, it should almost be illegal. A bit like my friend on those pictures!
Wide-O is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
coopster (01-08-2018), ger715 (01-01-2018), PamelaJune (01-01-2018), SecondChances (01-01-2018)