View Single Post
Old 01-04-2018, 10:16 AM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Hi californiagirl (I wish they all could be......)

After extensive testing, and I do mean extensive, and intense review of my complete history, all possible causes of my profound neuropathy (walk only with braces and a walker) were ruled out.(diabetes, MS, brain tumor, all genetic causes, pinched nerves, heavy metal, alcohol, chemo, which I've never had, and others).

My Duke research Immunologist postulates that my Disordered (indeed, crazed) Immune System attacks my body's organs/system with a biochemical (possibly Cytokines) and has damaged my moisture system (eyes, mouth), lungs, bladder, large nerves in my legs, small fiber nerves in all of my body, ears (Meniere's), Gastro-intestinal system (swallowing disorder, IBS-D), etc. When I experience attacks they cause what is called a Flare - pain, fatigue, depression.

My husband is also a research immunologist and agrees with my Duke Doctor.

There isn't anything I can do about this attack. I have IVIG every four weeks to add IgG to my body, because I don't have enough IgG and would be constantly sick with infections of all kinds, with out these infusions. I have had IVIG for 4.5 years.

My Immune System is so bizarre that is doesn't LIKE the added IgG, so have to take low dose cortico-steriods (Medrol) so that I can have IVIG every 4 weeks without the reaction that causes Pain, Fatigue and Depression at the 48 hour mark.

The IVIG I have is not at the amount that is used to sometimes treat PN, by the way. Since my PN is profound, it is unlikely that I would be a good candidate for the high dose IVIG that is sometimes administered in the hope that it will stop and reverse the demyelination that causes PN in many cases.

By the way, I take 3600 mg of Gabapentin a DAY for relief of my SFN, which is the type that is sometimes referred to as Skin on Fire Syndrome.

Regards, ElaineD
ElaineD is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote