View Single Post
Old 01-05-2018, 07:26 PM

5 yr Member

5 yr Member

Thank you, John! This is really helpful. She is small, but not tiny... I think she is around 5'1" and somewhere in the 130's or 140's.

I'll ask her to try that timed test.

I had also started reading about alternative diagnoses but based on the info I've seen about differential diagnoses it doesn't seem like she has PSP or MSA. I am basing this on the fact that she is tremor-dominant, first presented with a standard pill rolling tremor on one side, doesn't have a lot of trouble with balance and doesn't seem to have any of the more "exotic" or aggressive symptoms that are often listed when you read about those conditions. Her symptoms are very much classic, textbook PD, the only thing is that she seems not to be very responsive to the medications. Her most bothersome symptom is the tremor. Her main symptoms overall besides the tremor are fatigue, bradykinesia, and stiffness. Her symptoms started with the altered sense of smell many years ago and ongoing issues with frozen shoulder/back spasms. Thinking back, I believe her PD started really slowly long before any of us were aware of it.

It just seems like the Lyme disease set off some kind of process in her body (brain?) back in the late 80's or early 90's. She also developed autoimmune issues and a high ANA after all of that. The first MDS she ever saw was at Duke and told her that she has "garden variety" PD and no other neuro has ever said anything to challenge that. I guess I just get stuck on the fact that she seemed to have this obvious precipitating event and hasn't had good luck with the meds so far.

Anyway, thanks for listening, it's a puzzle we are still trying to solve, just like everyone else here, I imagine.
Lodaloda is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote