View Single Post
Old 01-07-2018, 03:34 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

I found this thread while searching for "zinc."

I've just found something else in my DNA that could possibly explain the cause of my glucose spikes. As everyone is probably aware, high glucose is an insult to nerves, and while I'm not diabetic or even pre-diabetic based on my current A1C result, I incur nasty spikes on carb consumption, especially sugar-based and grain-based carbs. Legumes and corn don't have as bad of an effect.

This is what I found in my DNA compliments of promethease.com. I have the CC genotype.

rs13266634(C;C)

increased risk for type-2 diabetes

rs13266634 is a SNP in the zinc transporter protein member 8 SLC30A8 gene that has primarily been associated with type-2 diabetes in several studies. This SNP is also known as the Arg325Trp or R325W variant; the (C) allele encodes the arginine (R), and the (T) allele encodes the tryptophan (W). significantly associated p = 0.0073; in 1,630 Japanese subjects with type-2 diabetes and in 1,064 controls The major alleles of the SLC30A8 SNP rs13266634 and the HHEX SNP rs7923837 associate with reduced insulin secretion, but not with insulin resistance. 46% of European non-diabetic offspring of type-2 diabetes patients are rs13266634(C;C) homozygotes; they are diabetes-prone and characterised by a 19% decrease in first-phase insulin release following an intravenous glucose load.

After further Googling, I found this 2017 study...

Some dietary factors can modulate the effect of the zinc transporters 8 polymorphism on the risk of metabolic syndrome | Scientific Reports

Conclusions

Results of this study have demonstrated significant interaction among omega-3 fatty acids, zinc, salty snack intakes, and the ZNT8 variant, in relation to the MetS and its components. Compared with the CT + TT genotype carriers, the consumption of omega-3 fatty acids by the CC genotype carriers, supplying one percent of the energy requirement, reduced the risk of developing the MetS, high TG and low HDL-C up to 50%, 19%, and 32%, respectively. In addition, compared to the CT + TT genotype carriers, higher zinc consumption by the CC genotype carriers had reduced the risk of high FPG up to 50%.

So I guess I'll be making sure I eat zinc-rich food and supplement it as well, and also stepping up on my omega-3s.
janieg is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote