View Single Post
Old 01-11-2018, 02:58 AM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Interesting. This fits right in what we are discussing.

Sorry for the french, but I'll translate/summarize.

Quote:
Cela fait des années que les scientifiques tentent de comprendre avec précision les causes des acouphènes chroniques. Bien qu’il s’agisse d’un « problème mécanique » de l’oreille (qui peut être dû à une maladie), les recherches ont pu démontrer que cela est très probablement lié à l’activité cérébrale, en particulier parmi les cellules fusiformes qui nous aident à déterminer l’origine du bruit et à éliminer le bruit de fond.
This is the link through Google Translate:

Google Translate

Basically, the comparison is apt. Although tinnitus originates from physical damage - the condition is then caused by the brain reacting to that damage with producing its own sounds. (ringing, hissing, both or one or alternate ears) I have it too, and it's again stress influenced, is sometimes less, then comes back with a vengeance etc.

A mechanical problem (ears/nerves in our extremities) as the cause but the brain adding to the problem (by inventing sound or inventing pain from parts that are not physically actually in pain (!).

They managed to find how this works (finally), for tinnitus at least, and are experimenting with stimulating parts of the brain that could "reset" this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Susan Shore
" The brain, specifically the brainstem region called the dorsal cochlear nucleus, is the root of tinnitus, " said Susan Shore, professor at the University of Michigan Health System and head of the team. research. " When the main neurons in this region, called fusiform cells, become hyperactive and synchronize with each other, the ghost signal is transmitted to other centers where perception occurs ," she continues. " If we can stop these signals, we can stop tinnitus. This is what we are trying to do with our approach, and we are encouraged by the initial parallel results in animals and humans, "she adds.
I'll try to find an original English article later today. The original research can be found here: Auditory-somatosensory Stimulation to Alleviate Tinnitus - Full Text View - ClinicalTrials.gov

I can easily see a similar solution for the PN pains we feel. "My toe feels like it's being clipped off by pliers and then set on fire" says brain. But the toe is perfectly fine (although you should do your nails! ) so the solution is to make the brain "behave", not to "make up problems".
Wide-O is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
PamelaJune (01-11-2018), SecondChances (01-11-2018)