View Single Post
Old 01-11-2018, 03:06 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icehouse View Post
See, I have thought the same thing, even 2nd guessed my self re: the PN thing as you ALL have the pain and I do not. I feel so left out....
Just point a blowtorch at your feet while hammering your toes, you'd feel much more at ease.

Quote:
Phantom limb has always intrigued me too. I know a guy in Canada that lost his arm in a snowmobiling accident and the "itching" was just plain irritating...

Talk about an itch you can't scratch!!!
He said it could actually be maddening, and he was a tough cookie. He hated pithy, was a full on punk with the black leather and mohawk etc. He had a crazy sense of humor about his leg, and could pee himself laughing when he fell in the snow. Made jokes about never having trouble with non-matching pairs of socks... You have to be made of strong material to go through life that way when you are so young.

One of these people I wished I had stayed in touch with. I found a recording of us performing for 600 students in 1982 just recently, and wondered how he would be...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SecondChances View Post
That is exactly how it all went down with me. I had so many warnings, I knew what was happening yet the more I worried the more I drank. It defies logic but the alcoholic mind is not logical. I WILL confess that last night when reading Icehouse's good news I thought "Oh goody, now I can get fixed and drink more". Ugh... fortunately it was just a very fleeting thought but that is how my crazy head still thinks.
That's the whole problem: logic can never solve it. We like to think of ourselves as being logical, rational, individuals, but when it comes to things like addiction, logic flies straight out of the window. You can't "think" yourself sober, even if you'd be Einstein.

But yes, your progress (in the wrong direction) is the most "typical" I would say. But I have no doubt that Icehouse has PN too, just in a different way.

I mean, even things like how tall you are plays a role in getting PN. Or the types of medication you have used in the past, or if you have used antacids a lot (kills B12...), your eating habits, genetics, type of alcohol used...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SecondChances View Post
We are already on page 12 of the Alcoholic Neuropathy Part 2 thread. How cool is that? This is a wonderful support and I am always so glad to know you all are out there. If there are any lurkers please join in. (I lurked for years while drinking but was too ashamed to post).
Lurking is OK. Some people just don't feel comfortable, or afraid for their privacy, or even have trouble admitting to themselves they have a problem in the first place. Or just aren't familiar with the software. (it can be daunting for some). The information is there, it will be read & processed. Some will join in at some stage, some just prefer to keep on reading, and that's OK too. I think that for every active poster, there are 10 to 20 frequent readers. If it helps one single other person who doesn't post here, we are already golden.
Wide-O is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
PamelaJune (01-11-2018), SecondChances (01-12-2018)