View Single Post
Old 07-19-2007, 10:39 AM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Exclamation Thank you Carolyn & Dottie & Todd & ...

Carolyn, it is so good to hear from you and have you back with us!

Carolyn is my friend, and she knows that I have supported her in this decision since the beginning. And it was with a heavy heart that I followed her struggles after her surgery.

I suspect we are all united in hating the idea of sham surgery. I wish it were not part of the CERE trial. But it IS and this is the only way this substance is being tested. Without people like Carolyn and Todd and Dottie (and all the rest) this treatment will never reach all PWP - assuming that this and succeeding trials are a success.

Participating in clinical trials is an individual matter of conscience. However I think it is a shame that so few pwp believe in the process - only 1% of PWP in the US participate in clinical trials. That slows down the time to get treatments or a cure for all of us.

Have I participated in clinical trials? Yes - 6 and counting. Have any involved brain surgery - no - i have not been eligible. But asssuming I AM eligible for CERE phase III, I'll be in line to sign up - sham surgery or no.

I will never like the idea of sham surgery, but if it is the only way this and other promising treatments will make it through the drug pipeline, I'll take my chances. And I'll be proud to have participated in a process that helps all PWP.

This isn't the life I wished for, but it is the life I have. So I'm doing my best.
jeanb is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote