View Single Post
Old 01-13-2018, 06:36 PM
Legendary

15 yr Member
Legendary

15 yr Member

taq33,

Welcome to NeuroTalk.

You are on the right track with your thinking. Your brain has already had a rough time with multitudes of subconcussive impacts with some full concussions mixed in.

Your choice is simple.
Do I stop contact sports and work on a life than can hopefully be long and uneventful regarding future impacts and any post concussion symptoms.
Or, do I pursue my dream and risk losing it all with a single devastating concussion or series of subconcussive impact that leave me with a brain that can't remember simple things (word finding is one of the worst common symptoms), a brain that is prone to outburst that can result in legal and/or family/social problems, a brain that deteriorates into mindless dementia at a premature age and more.

I quit contact sports at 16. But, in a normal active life, I still suffered more impacts that have left me with a dysfunctional brain at 46. My head injuries from my youth were a big part of my problems.

From my perspective, I would encourage you to stop. Maybe coach and train others. Or, find a totally new direction in your life. You are at the age where you are ready to establish a career and life with many options still available. Further injury can quickly limit your options.

There are many competitive sports where the brain is not at risk as much. Tri-athletes and Ninja athletes are some of the most amazing athletes.

You should consider getting started on a brain health supplement regimen and learn to recognize the various symptoms that say you are pushing too hard.

There is a lot you can do to make your future the best possible.

My best to you.

"Be still and know that I am God" Psalm 46:10
Mark in Idaho is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
taq33 (01-14-2018)