View Single Post
Old 01-19-2018, 11:26 AM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwi33 View Post
That sounds great Wide-O .

If your wisdom IRL is even half as good as that which you share here I am sure that you will do a superb job.
Now where's the blush smiley? Thank you.

Not sure about wisdom , but I can honestly say I'm 100% motivated and committed to do something useful. It does seem that the people I found can absolutely facilitate this desire, so I'm very happy with the way this is going.

When I think back to how difficult it was for me to find help* - and bear in mind I was even honest, no longer in denial, and actively ASKING for it - I ... want to be the guy I would have hoped to meet at that point in my life.

* I actually remember asking a doc - who was a stand-in for my GP - what my best options would be to get sober, a full year before I finally went to rehab. No, not just asking, begging! With tears in my eyes. I can still see myself sitting here in my office, on my bed, feeling totally lost, wanting to stop the madness.

I got little or no information from her, other than "Well, just stop drinking!". How very useful...

I had forgotten about this (!), but my wife reminded me of it yesterday. She knew I wanted to get sober, but didn't really know what to do either. She assumed the docs would know... If they had a system in place back then, or at least some information, some pointers, I might well have gotten sober a year earlier.

The organization I'm now involved with wants to put an end to situations like this, and offer information about help, about where you can go, as soon as. To addicts, their families, to doctors, psychs, to ERs... So if I ever doubt my motivation, I only have to think back to my earlier self, on my bed, in 2011...
Wide-O is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
ger715 (01-19-2018), kiwi33 (01-19-2018), PamelaJune (01-19-2018), SecondChances (01-19-2018)