View Single Post
Old 01-19-2018, 11:27 AM
Magnate

10 yr Member
Magnate

10 yr Member

SC,
Have you considered going to AA meetings? I can't say enough how they helped my daughter with her sobriety. She eventually had a what she called a "home base" where you are comfortable; especially when you feel yourself slipping in the substance taking over you mind. Also, so important to have a Sponsor.

She has many ailments too; but this gave her a purpose and even tho the story is told over and over again at AA; can hear it often enough. I myself attended some of the "open" meetings. Please don't let the PN be your only reason for sobriety....

As for PN, I have been dealing with this for a few years. After having a surgery, I noticed issues some numbing and pain with my legs and feet, as well as some imbalance. I mentioned this to my Primary Care doctor. He said that's the neuropathy. I hadn't even heard of PN at that time. Some days are better than others; but I try not to let that stop me from doing many of the everyday things.

Not sure what you are using for footwear; but I found wearing slip on velcro sandals without a back and about 1 or 1 1/4" overall heel has avoided setting off some of the pain issues. I only wear stockings when absolutely necessary and take off asap. They seem to aggravate the feet/ankle issues.

The hardest part for me dealing with the PN was acceptance. Then finding the best way to work with what I have in an effort to not let muscle atrophy, etc. or things worsen.

You can learn ways to work around the PN and still make yourself useful and enjoy life. There is a site with Physical Therapy for PN I (printed out the instructions/pictures). It is The Foundation For Peripheral Neuropathy. Look for it under Exercises for Peripheral Neuropathy. Hope some or any of this may be helpful to you. While not a quick fix, these may help your physical and mental outlook with improvement.

Last edited by ger715; 01-19-2018 at 11:50 AM.
ger715 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
kiwi33 (01-19-2018), PamelaJune (01-19-2018), SecondChances (01-19-2018)