View Single Post
Old 01-21-2018, 05:25 AM

5 yr Member

5 yr Member
Frown I might have had several concussions this week. I need help

My first diagnosed concussion was about 7 years ago. I slipped on ice in the school yard and banged my forehead into the pavement. I was very out of it the first few hours and went to the ER. It resolved quickly (a couple of days), but I developed an anxiety disorder and ocd some time after. I think I have always had tendencies of ocd though. I had another concussion 7 months ago where I hit the top of my head on a door frame. Luckily, it was at the start of the summer vacation, so I had plenty of time to rest both mentally and physically. I have struggled with PCS since that concussion. I attended school full time 2 months after. I was slow and steadily getting better, but I have had my ups and downs.

My symptoms are: attention deficit, difficulties concentrating, memory problems, depression, impaired thinking and impaired sensation in the whole body (but particularly the left half of the body and my left cheek). The first few weeks after, I had all of this plus: brain fog, insomnia and sensitivity to light and sound.

The impaired sensation was barely noticeable at the start. A week after the concussion a physician did a small neurological test on me, where one of the things she tested was my sensation. I didn't notice a difference then, but I later discovered that there was a noticeable difference. The lack of sensation has since been a way to pinpoint how bad my symptoms are at the moment, and whether I should rest or not. Has anyone else experienced a lack of sensation?

I have had several small relapses by getting small bumps and jolts. Some of these include: stepping down to hard, hitting my head on the car door frame, a haircut from a barber that seemed to be in a hurry - she was very rough and careless and my hair was done in record time (10 minutes). There has also been some moments at my driver's licence classes: a VERY bumpy road and a mandatory task where I had to hit the brakes as hard as possible to get a full stop from 80 kph (50 mph). 6 months after, some days I felt almost normal again, a rough car ride with my brother and driving over potholes every single day etc. has made it worse. And the cognitive demand at school has only made matters worse. I feel completely exhausted after every day at school, especially since we have to use laptops for almost every class. When I get home I lay down and listen to music or podcast the rest of the day.

This week everything got a lot worse.
On monday I hit my head at the edge of a desk as I stood up after plugging in the laptop charger. I immediately felt a little dizzy but also got a bout of anxiety. I went for a short walk right after to get some fresh air. The same evening, I had a driver's class. I didn't drive, but long story short, the driver braked to a full stop two times from a speed of 35. Although not as sudden as when I had to break to a full stop. I didn't feel much worse until I got home. I was very dizzy and foggy. I haven't been to school since this day.
Wednesday night I experienced severe shaking and jerking in my body. This happens when I get anxious enough, and I was very anxious. But I had yet to experience my neck and head jerking from being anxious. I had some severe head jerks as I was about to go to bed. I am afraid that any of them could have caused yet another concussion. I think I read on this forum that it is easier to get concussions the first few weeks after you have had one. I also got hypnic jerks multiple times as I was about to fall asleep. I have only gotten more shaky and more anxious and I am having tremors in my neck, and now my symptoms is as bad as they were after the concussion last summer. I get very easily startled now. Yesterday my dad called me, and I involuntarily tightened all my muscles so that my entire body and head jerked.

My parents have since the concussion last year had a hard time believing me. And wouldn't let me have time off from school, not until monday. It seemed like my mom was finally coming around, but now she thinks I'm overreacting (I might be, that's why I am posting here for guidance). She got very very angry with me yesterday because she thinks I am being to careful and taking it too easy. I have abstained from doing basically any amount of physical activity, and I have just been at home listening to music all day, trying to relax. Yesterday she read an article that said the opposite of the countless of sources I have read about what to do after a concussion. The article said that you should push through symptoms and not rest much at all and get back to your normal life as soon as possible. I guess it makes sense for most peoples concussions, which resolves within a couple of days anyway.

I have just recently gotten a referral to a neurologist, but I probably have to wait a couple of months.

Is it possible that I have had multiple concussions this week? Do you think I could have gotten permanent brain damage? Or am I going to get CTE? What should I do now?
NorwegianGuy is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote