View Single Post
Old 01-24-2018, 04:58 AM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwi33 View Post
From what you have said it seems to me that you are not physically addicted to alcohol.
Right. And that gave me another thought...

As always I have to start by saying I'm not an expert, but , indeed, given that linter seems to "switch" addictions, I would carefully suggest that the problem probably isn't alcoholism as such, but a deeper underlying condition (like depression e.d.). What struck me were the words "addicted to my (ex) girlfriend". It seems that both the girlfriend, the alcohol, the smoking, were partly to fill up a "void" that comes from something deeper. This is no gospel, mind you, but very often with addictions, there is an underlying problem that needs to be looked at too. Otherwise, chances are you'd switch from alcohol to something else in the future, if you know what I mean. (or keep relapsing)

A warning though: even when you are not yet physically addicted, there is a sort of "build up" effect every time you quit and start over again. Detoxing could be fine the first 4 times, and suddenly go very wrong the 5th time. If you can have somebody watch over you, and have a phone ready to dial 911 for when you start feeling really weird is always a good idea. I don't say this to scare you off, at all, but always be careful with detoxing.

Ideally, you would want to talk about this with your doc/GP to see if you could use some more help. He/she could also think about a short term med to help you avoid getting seizures. Again, the risk is small, but very real. Since I got sober I heard/read of at least 50 stories where detox went pretty badly, so better safe than sorry.

Nevertheless: motivation is key. Seeing there is a way out is key. So keep on reading too.

And I would also support Kiwi's suggestion of keeping a mood diary. It can help to build an understanding after a few months.
Wide-O is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
kiwi33 (01-24-2018), PamelaJune (01-24-2018)