View Single Post
Old 01-25-2018, 02:28 PM

5 yr Member

5 yr Member
Question Help in describing dizziness to drs

Hello everyone - I'm Maggie and brand new.

I have been recovering from a TBI since Nov 15, and have my first appt with the neurologist on Feb 8th. My symptoms seem fairly typical (dizziness, headaches, light/sound sensitivity, word finding, etc.). For me however, the worst is the dizziness.

I would be so grateful for your help in reading this and telling me if I'm explaining myself well. This Feb 8th appt is so so important to me -- I'm a single mom of 3 kids and an executive. I'm the only one supporting our family, so I want to heal and get back to my life as quickly as possible.

Here's what I experience as dizziness:

- If you take your finger and gently push it against the bridge of your nose, that sensation is similar to what I feel. Just 100X stronger. Like if you fly to 30,000 feet, in those couple of seconds where your head and ears adjust. That feeling, but it's constant.
- The pressure feels like it starts there at the bridge of my nose, and spreads through my forehead. This pressure sensation seems to be what creates the dizziness.
- When the pressure gets more intense I call it pain, and these are what I'd consider headaches. When that happens, the dizziness turns into nausea.
- The headache pain is like a 6 or 7. For me a 10 is natural childbirth, a 9 is passing a kidney stone or when one of my discs first go out. So, not that strong. But the headaches last 3-4 days and almost nothing relieves it. I'm completely useless for that time period.
- Then eventually the pain recedes again and returns to "pressure" level, which is where it is now. Just insanely dizzy. The headaches I could live with since they're not constant, but the dizziness is debilitating. I've gone from working 60 hr weeks, to barely being able to be on a computer or cook my kids dinner. It will start getting better and then it's back again. Some triggers I've figured out.

The dizziness gets worse by various things:

visual - scrolling on a computer, or turning the page of a book. bright lights or the grocery store is often too much
sound - anything loud like a blender or shouting, and especially high-pitch noises like plastic bags being rustled
movement - bending over for too long, or driving in a car (especially vehicles that take speed bumps and turns like boats- omg)
cognitive - thinking too hard, like solving algebra equations or remembering a word that won't come
emotional/physical fatigue - getting upset, or trying to do any activity like running errands or cleaning for more than an hour

Thoughts, questions, any recommendations?? Please be as direct as you want. I want to give the dr the info she needs to help me.

Fwiw, I mentioned my discs in the pain scale above; I already had 3 herniated cervical discs which have not gone out since the injury, but are there in case that's relevant.

Thank you so much!

Maggie
Magpie76 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote