View Single Post
Old 01-26-2018, 04:58 PM

5 yr Member

5 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Becca71 View Post
It isn't easy to convince yourself at first to touch, or allow anything to touch, the affected part. One lesson they started with me right off the bat. It isn't your "bad" foot, and good foot. Its your "Affected" foot and "unaffected." Because so much of this lives in the brain it is very important how you think about it. Sounds dumb but it is true.

Tell him that when you start always touch the unaffected limb first and focus on how it feels. Soft, fluffy, etc. And reminding the brain that it is SAFE. Then you touch the affected limb, for whatever amount of time (even 5 seconds) and think about the actual sensation, and remind your brain that your limb is safe. LOOK at what you are doing so you KNOW it is just a cotton ball. Then stop for however long you need (5 mins?) and touch other foot with cotton ball focusing on the texture/feeling and that it is SAFE.

All of this is about retraining your brain, teaching your brain that these textures and feelings and things touching the affected area are safe, and that your brain is lying to you when it says that they are not. The brain is "plastic" and can re-wire to a certain extent. Can't completely fix the CRPS, but you can work around some of the false pain signals the brain is sending.
Reading your post made me cry…..I think its because I’ve seen my husband’s life become so small….

I have done some research on this and its something he’s willing to try. One of his doctors spoke with him about it and gave him printed suggestions/instructions in how to do it.

You are RIGHT about bad vs affected, reminding the brain that it is safe, always touch the unaffected limb first and to look. Thank you for these tips !! His doctor never mentioned any of this !!
Alice P is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
ger715 (01-27-2018)