View Single Post
Old 01-30-2018, 04:43 PM

5 yr Member

5 yr Member
Default Questioning doctors advice - return to sports?

Hi all,

First time poster here, but have read the forum for a while.

In July, I had a fairly mild concussion. I was running up a set of stairs with a low cement ceiling and stood up too early, thus propelling the back of my head into a corner of the cement door frame. It hurt a lot for a minute or two, but didn't trigger a concussion and I forgot about it. I went mountain biking later that day, had a light fall where I just grazed my face and triggered a concussion (felt squeezing of the brain, stood up and couldn't see straight). It's the first concussion I've had, although I grew up playing hockey and doing extreme sports. I'm 30.

I never had severe symptoms, just troubles with blurred vision and headaches. The vision issues subsided within 2-3 months, but the headaches continued. I went on a daily dose of 50mg of Amitriptyline on October 2nd, and have generally felt a lot better with that.

I am still on Ami now, and have resumed most normal activities. I ran 10 miles this morning with minimal/no symptoms (although have mild 1/10 headache now) and have been lifting weights for about two months.

I still get headaches when I overdo it with exercise, when the weather changes suddenly, when I'm on the computer too much, etc.

I went to the doctor yesterday to ask how I should think about a return to activities I enjoy (mountain biking, skiing, hockey, etc). He cleared me to resume those activities, despite some unresolved symptoms.

I want to know what folks think about this? If I do return, I will certainly be taking it easy and not doing any jumps, drops, etc. I guess the more general question is, is there a time when it makes sense to resume normal life, outside the bubble, if headaches still occur? If in two years I still have mild symptoms, does that mean my brain is still primed for reinjury? I know this isn't exact science.

My docs advice is that my brain is probably pretty well done healing. Potentially I'll just have headaches fairly often forever, or maybe they'll resolve over another 6-12 months, but I don't appear to be at a huge risk of reinjury.
Erik is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote