View Single Post
Old 01-30-2018, 05:47 PM
Legendary

15 yr Member
Legendary

15 yr Member

Erik,

Welcome to NeuroTalk.

I have a hard time believing you are 30, have played hockey, and done other extreme sports and this was your first concussion. Many do not realize that the 'shake it off' head jarrings are concussion. The hard body checks with some helmet to helmet contact is a sub-concussive impact. The helmet to the ice or mountain bike trail can be a concussion or sub-concussive impact.

People often discount these impacts until they have symptoms that last past a few minutes. But, these impacts are injuring your brain.

Nobody can say what your level of injury is. The science just has not figured that out. [If in two years I still have mild symptoms, does that mean my brain is still primed for reinjury?] Some try to say prior concussions do not impact future concussions and others can anecdotally see an accumulation of decreased function with each impact. My neuro sees the accumulation of decreased function as the more accurate explanation. There are many here on NT who can attest to the challenges of subsequent impacts of almost any magnitude.

You have to decide what lifetime risks you are willing to take. Will your next bike fall be THE FALL that changes your life? Will the next hit or fall playing hockey change your life?

Let me give you just a bit of perspective. I have not done any extreme activities, ever. But, I have had my share of head impacts and one very bad concussion in 1965 from a bike fall. When I started typing your name, I could remember it is Eric, or Erik. I looked at your name and opened a reply window and typed Eric, then I scrolled to see if I spelled it correctly because my memory is so bad.

That is my life since the age of 46 (16 years ago) when I just stepped off a curb and landed wrong jarring from my pelvis to my head.

At 30 years old, your brain is already starting the downhill path in its ability to recover. No concussions recovered fully. Symptoms may resolve but the brain will always be injured.

Your headaches can be indicators of your brain's condition and/or an indicator of your neck's condition causing muscle spams that cause headaches. We call these subtle neck injuries. They happen in 80% of concussions. It is difficult to determine whether symptoms are from the neck or the brain.

The headaches after exertion (computer, exercise, etc) suggest a struggling brain.

btw, 50 mgs of Ami is a powerful dose for PCS issues. The usual dosage is 10 mgs before bed taken to help with headaches and insomnia.

So, I have likely given you more questions than answers. Welcome to the community of Post Concussion Syndrome.

At least, get the best helmet you can find for each activity and consider how you can reduce risk. No checking hockey leagues can help.

My best to you.

"Be still and know that I am God" Psalm 46:10

Last edited by Mark in Idaho; 01-30-2018 at 08:12 PM.
Mark in Idaho is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote