View Single Post
Old 01-31-2018, 09:37 AM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default DBS vs. the patch

Thanks for the replies. It always helps to talk to someone in the same situation.

I have both good insurance and support. I live in a Senior Citizen Retirement complex in assisted living. They help with my meds, I get all my meals, and they wheel me around the complex in my wheelchair on those days that I can't use my walker. Thankfully I'm able to shower myself, get dressed, and otherwise and am pretty self sufficient.

As you can guess, I'm the youngest one here (57) and figured out that I'm halfway between the ages of the help (front desk, Nursing Assistants, rehab personnel), and the elderly. Most of the residents are 80+ because 60 and 70 year olds are still in their homes. I pay $4900 a month so it isn't cheap and I consider myself lucky that I can afford it. I've had PD 15 years now.

Again, thanks for the detailed reply. It helps more than you know!

Quote:
Originally Posted by soccertese View Post
you can try the patch, i've read on this board and others that it works for some and not for others and it can be a hassle placing it on a different patch of skin everyday, agonoist side affects like OCD, nausea, dizziness. if it works well then you can use it for as long as it works. i've read that brand name requip-xl works well too. cost could be a factor if your insco won't cover whole amount.

you may not qualify for a DBS. Your MDS wouldn't recommend it though if he/she didn't think you would qualify. it is the last resort along with duodopa intestinal gel so you have to assume eventually you will need one or the other. if you wait until you absolutely need a DBS you may not qualify for one so you have to make that part of your decision framework. also, will you have enough support before,during and after the operation? if you talk to someone where DBS works well they tell you they waited too long. if your think you'll still qualify physically and mentally for a DBS in a few years, then there is possibly a benefit to delay since there might be a technology improvement during the waiting time.

write out all your questions and concerns and email to your mds before the meeting. get a book on DBS, many on AMAZON.

People will forget what you said,
people will forget what you did,
but people will never forget how you made them feel.

Quoted by: Maya Angelou (Reader's Digest Oct. 2006)
proudest_mama is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
eds195 (01-31-2018)